It may be Christmas but there are still plenty of the Minis on the road and still plenty of work to do in the Mini Sport Workshop!
The latest job was to fit one of our very own Mini Sport 7-Port Cylinder Heads. However, as can happy often, this job turned out to be a slightly bigger job than first thought. The bottom end wasn’t in brilliant condition and to get the most from the Rally Spec 7-Port Cylinder Head we advised remanufacturing the block.
We were given the go-ahead and it was sent over the road to the Mini Sport engineering department – Hi-Tech Engineering. The head was honed and the crank polished with new pistons, big end bearings and main bearings being fitted during the rebuild.
The Rally 7 Port Head is Polished, Ported & Gasflowed, has Unleaded Seats, 37mm Competition Inlet Valves, 31mm Competition Exhaust Valves and High Lift 220lb Competition Valve Springs. This Cylinder Head is the original choice for any A-Series Tuner!
- Optimises power on all Mini ‘A’ series engines, 1275cc upwards, and excels on the larger capacity engines, 1380cc or even larger!
- Tested on a standard 1275cc engine fitted with 1.5:1 rockers, it increased the maximum power to 100BHP. This increase is due to the crossflow design and use of 4 inlet ports.
- Larger diameter inlet ports and crossflow design, overcome the ‘A’ series engines breathing problems, by increasing the inlet manifold air flow by as much as 20%, over an original 5 port head, fitted with the equivalent size of inlet valve.
- Cast from top quality iron, each casting is fully machined and pressure tested ‘in house’, in our very latest CNC machining facility, to ensure consistent quality.
- 1.2mm of extra space between valve centerlines, reduces the risk of cracking between inlet and exhaust when fitting BIG or oversized valves.
- The 4 port inlet manifold is cast as part of the cylinder head, designed to fit twin Weber/Dellorto Carburettors, or injection throttle bodies, eliminating the use of a separate component.
- Retaining the original 3 exhaust port design, allows fitment of a wide range of LCB exhaust manifolds and systems without the need to purchase a special exhaust manifold.
- All A-series (standard or competition) cam and valve train components are used on the 7 port head to avoid extra costs of special components
- Each cylinder head is individually hand finished to many various specifications, from a bare head to a fully modified assembled complete head, or to a clients individual requirements.
- This 7 port cylinder head design, attained it’s competition pedigree by returning many first class consistent results in Scandinavian events, and was used and fitted extensively by the Top Danish Team Works Minis.